Are you on a health program to help you manage your weight?
Most diets and exercise regimens, designed to help you lose weight and reduce body fat, also have the side effect of potentially reducing your muscle tissue. Particularly if your protein intake is not meeting what your body needs for proper function.
Therefore, including protein in your diet through lean protein food sources, such as lean chicken, lean beef, fish, eggs and tofu, is important.
Also, using a protein supplement, such as whey protein concentrate powder or whey protein isolate powder, will help you control and improve your protein intake. The ease and convenience of a whey protein powder shake or smoothie, topped up with fresh fruit and other healthy additions, forms a satisfying food to support your weight loss activities.
Furthermore, maintaining your muscles during your weight loss efforts will enhance your results. Because the more muscle you have, the more fat you’ll burn – similar to running a car that has a bigger engine will burn more fuel.
Above all, protein is a fulfilling macronutrient that improves satiety; the feeling of fullness. Fighting your feelings of hunger through increasing protein in your diet is a great step towards achieving your weight loss goals.
Consequently, consuming whey protein is an easy way to increase your protein intake. Whey protein boosts your metabolism and helps you ingest fewer calories by reducing food cravings and unhealthy snacking. Replacing other calories with whey protein calories and lifting weights increases lean muscle mass and causes significant weight loss.
Furthermore, the calcium content of whey protein also assists weight loss. Inside your body, calcium decreases fat accumulation via a specific biochemical mechanism. Without calcium, the parathyroid hormone works to promote the storage of fat, whereas when calcium is available through your diet, this hormone’s fat storage effects are switched off. This means that calcium is important for accelerating your weight loss.
So, if you’re dieting and trying to lose weight, then a whey protein concentrate powder or whey protein isolate powder as a protein supplement in your diet will not only help you reduce your body fat weight but will also help you retain and improve your valuable muscles.
1. Keep your digestive system active by eating three healthy main meals with healthy snacks in between throughout your day.
2. Drink plenty of water. By keeping yourself hydrated, you’ll support your metabolism to flush out toxins from your body and, therefore, improve your health.
3. Don’t skip meals. If you’re struggling to find time to eat, and you don’t want to be tempted by unhealthy foods, a whey protein shake really comes in handy. They’re quick to make, they taste delicious and, most importantly, they’ll fill you up so you don’t feel hungry.
4. Reduce added sugars and refined carbohydrates in your diet. Be sure to read food labels carefully, because many products marketed as so-called ‘health foods’ contain high levels of sugar.
5. Gentle exercise, such as walking, is better than no exercise at all. When was the last time you took a brisk walk in the park?
Whey protein concentrate powder and whey protein isolate shakes can also be used to gain weight in the form of muscle not fat.
For those looking to gain weight, for example if you have a medical illness or you’re elderly, and you need a nutrient boost that’s easy to consume, adding a whey protein powder shake to your current diet will help promote healthy weight gain.
It’s important to check with your doctor if you do have a medical condition before adding whey protein to your diet as some diseases, like kidney disease and liver disease, need to be managed carefully.
When combined with strength exercise, whey protein supplementation will help you gain bulk and lean muscle mass. Its high-quality protein and effective digestibility and absorbability provide nutrients to support muscle growth.
Find out more about whey protein for building muscle mass and whey protein for general health.